Cavity Wall Insulation
Research indicates that over 30% of heating is lost through the walls of your home and that Cavity Wall Insulation can help prevent these losses.
Alpha Insulation is an approved installer of Bonded Bead Cavity Wall Insulation and Walltite Cavity Foam.
Our systems have an effective thermal conductivity which helps prevent the escape of heat through the walls.
How is Cavity Wall Insulation fitted?
A series of holes are drilled in an approved pattern (click here to see System Certificates) and material of your choice is injected through these holes. Using this approach guarantees a complete fill… Due to the unique flow characteristics of the bonded bead cavity wall insulation within a cavity wall situation, the number of holes required is kept to a minimum.
Cavity Wall Insulation (Bonded Bead)
Bonded Bead is the most cost effective way of insulating your property. It is installed by injecting bead using a specified and approved system designed to ensure a complete fill of the cavity wall area.
The polystyrene used for CWI is a bead which is usually combined with an adhesive at the time of injection. Polystyrene beads are produced to a specified size and density which remains unaltered during the installation process.
The installation must be carried out in accordance with the relevant BBA Certification and System Suppliers installation Manual.
Once installed, the bead filling in the cavity will remain an effective insulant for the life of the building and will require no further maintenance.
The use of polystyrene bead for cavity wall insulation does not prejudice the fire resistance properties of the wall.
The material is resistant to water penetration and will not transmit water across the cavity by capillary action or from below dpc level. Any rainwater penetrating the outer leaf will drain harmlessly to the footings. The product is not designed to be a water vapour barrier.
Cavity Wall Insulation - (Walltite Foam)
WALLTITE cavity wall foam insulation is used to reduce the heat loss of existing and new build cavity walls consisting of masonry inner and outer leaf construction.
WALLTITE is Installed as a liquid through a pattern of 12mm pre-drilled holes it expands within the cavity to gently fill each void eventually setting as a rigid polyurethane high-density insulation.
WALLTITE seals the cavity thereby preventing air leakage. The increased airtightness effect adds to the systems already superior thermal performance helping to reduce energy bills and creating a more comfortable living environment.
WALLTITE insulation is also used to restore the structural stability of existing cavity walls in which conventional wall ties have corroded and in new build and reform construction where its resistance to flood water is of importance.
WALLTITE stabilizes the wall by adhering to the inner surfaces of the cavity and providing a continuous structural connection between the two leaves. It has excellent resistance to driving rain and can be installed in all geographical exposure zones
Firetite Cavity Wall Insulation
FIRETITE is a limited combustibility class A2 fire rated, mineral based injection insulation material ideal for new and refurbished cavity wall insulation. This innovative system combines the benefits of a hydrophobic and open-pore mineral insulation material with the fast, safe and seamless airtight process of a self sealing foam system.
FIRETITE is the world’s first 3-component mineral based in-situ insulation material. It has been developed over many years of extensive research to create this unique formulation.
Why use FIRETITE?
- Non-flammable – FIRETITE insulation consists of 90% inorganic minerals and 10% organic components and is classified as a limited combustibility A2-s1,d0 construction material suitable for high rise buildings above 18m. FIRETITE achieves a smoke propagation indicator of s1 and a d0 rating for non-flaming droplets or particles as part of the overall A2 classification.
- Insulation – FIRETITE has a rated thermal conductivity value of 0.034W/mK.
- Waterproof – FIRETITE is water repellent.
- Quick and easy to install – FIRETITE is installed by trainedoperatives from the exterior of the building at a rate of approximately 100m2 per day. The product is suitable for new build or refurbishment cavity walls where the wall is open to diffusion.
- Breathable – FIRETITE is open-pored structure allows water vapour to evaporate. The product also has a certain capacity to store vapour, thereby regulating moisture in the surrounding area helping contribute to better indoor climate.
- Harmless – FIRETITE is a mechanically blown foam with pressurized air, meaning the foam does not contain internal propellants which might otherwise cause internal pressure built up. It does not emit pollutants – neither while drying or while the foam remains in the hollow layer. FIRETITE achieves the best EMICODE emission classification of EC1 plus.
- Sustainable – FIRETITE is produced and installed using components which use very low energy. Waste material can be disposed of with construction waste. FIRETITE has a very low carbon footprint determined within the Environmental Product Declaration (EPDBAS- 20180124-IBA1-EN).
- Space saving – The mixing process results in a finished FIRETITE product that is up to 10 times it’s original liquid volume, saving on transportation and storage. The product is fully expanded before injected into the cavity and does not cause any internal pressure on the cavity.
Wall Insulation for Timber Frame Applications is effective in reducing the thermal transmittance (U value) of external walls of timber frame dwellings. It is essential that such walls are designed and constructed to incorporate the normal precautions against moisture ingress.
We provide two types of Timber Frame Wall Insulation. Both these materials are designed to be used between the timber studs of new and existing conventional timber frame dwellings or buildings of similar occupancy.
Open Cell Spray Foam
The lambda value of this product is 0.039 however this would
offer vastly superior air tightness of the building. The foam is applied directly between the studs onto the OSB. The stud depth should be sufficient to meet the recommended
elemental U-value. Unwanted air leakage and air infiltration is minimised and sound attenuation improved. Polyurethane foams are hypo allergenic and so contain no fibres or dust and no noxious vapours. Mechanical and electrical services can be fixed between the foam and the plasterboard. Foam is very quick to install minimising on overhead costs, site storage and waste.
Open Cell Spray Foam
The low thermal conductivity of our bead (0.033 lambda value) makes it an excellent product for improving the overall thermal performance of any building.